Eddie - Edible Ink Printer, Refurbished (Available in US Only)
Print Width: 1" to 3.5" (25mm - 89mm)
Item Width: 1.5" to 3.5" (38mm - 89mm)
Print Speed: 5-6 cookies per minute, varies by size and print
Ink: 1 GMP Certified CMY Edible Ink Cartridge (see note below)
Carousel: Includes one carousel for 3" - 3.5" (76mm - 89mm) items.
|Visit the Eddie downloads page for the latest support information.|
- What is the price of the printer? $2995 (USD, MSRP) in the USA. You may occasionally see it available for less during promotional periods.
- How much is the ink cartridge? The single cyan/magenta/yellow (CMY) GMP-Certified Edible Ink Cartridge is $130 (USD).
- Are your ink cartridges refillable? No. The ink cartridges are designed for one-time use only. For food safety and agency certifications purposes, this is our only option. Eddie is the only NSF-approved edible ink printer in the world, assuring you that Eddie is the safest edible ink printer you can buy.
- Does the ink have an expiration or best by date? Sealed cartridges are best for one year after the manufacture date. The best by date is printed on the cartridge box. FDA regulations require a best by date on the packaging. Keep in mind, expiration dates and best-by dates have very different meanings. Expiration dates tell consumers the last day a product is safe to consume. Best by date, on the other hand, tells you that the food is no longer in its perfect shape from that date. It may just lose its freshness, taste, aroma, or nutrients. The best by date is basically a quality indicator. Since this is ink is essentially food coloring, it has no nutritional value or taste to contribute to the overall product, so you can be assured that using the ink beyond the best by date is safe as long as the ink is still sealed in its foil packaging. However, once opened, cartridges last for six months. PrintHub, Eddie’s status monitor, will start tracking the six months from the first time they are used in the printer. Once you pass the six-month opened point, the PrintHub software will warn you that your cartridge is expired and should be replaced. If you wish to keep printing over the next few days or even longer, it’s OK. The ink doesn’t immediately expire at precisely six months.
- What size items (cookies, etc.) can you print? Using the carousel:
- Besides circles, does Eddie print onto other shapes, too? Yes! Eddie prints onto squares, rectangles, stars, and even shapes such as Christmas trees, toy soldiers, and much more. You can also print onto other items such as lollipops, biscuits and crackers, potato chips, marshmallows, and more. See this video from our master distributor in Germany, DTM Print. .
- What size carousel trays are available? Eddie ships with a carousel that will fit items between 3” (76mm) and 3.5” (89mm). Spacers are available for purchase to print items as small as 2.5”. More sizes will be available in the coming months.
- Speed Eddie prints a 3.5” (89mm) cookie in about 10 seconds. You can therefore expect to print a dozen 3.5” (89mm) cookies in approximately 2 minutes.
- What is the average ink cost per print? It depends upon the amount of coverage and the colors used in your design. If you’d like to know your specific ink cost per print, please send a high resolution .jpg of your actual design to email@example.com, and we’ll run a test through the printer’s software to give you a very close approximate cost. For a full color print, you can expect ink costs to run around $0.05 to $0.06 per print.
- How many prints will I get per ink cartridge? It depends upon the amount of coverage and the colors used in your design. If you’d like to know your specific ink cost per print, please send a high resolution .jpg of your actual design to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll run a test through the printer’s software to give you a very close approximate number of prints per design.
- What operating systems do these printers support? Windows® 7/8/10+ or MacOS 10.11+.
- What is the highest resolution the printer is capable of printing? Native print resolution is 1200 dpi. Eddie can print up to a maximum of 1200 x 4800 dpi.
- What certifications do the printer and ink have? Eddie is NSF Certified and is the first and only NSF Certified edible ink printer available on the planet! Eddie also has many safety and EMC certifications, including UL, UL-C, FCC and CE. The ink cartridges are a cGMP Certified edible ink cartridge manufactured and filled in cGMP-Certified facilities. No other edible ink cartridges currently available have cGMP Certification.
- Does the printer come with design software? Yes, it includes a downloadable copy of BarTender UltraLite for your PC. Any other Windows-based software may also be used with Eddie.
- How long will my images last? When printed on a compatible frosting or surface, images can last up to a few months.
- What types of items can you print on? Cookies, macarons, candies, lollipops, white chocolate, soap and more!
- Will Eddie print onto my frosting, icing, glaze, etc.? With the millions of possible combinations of ingredients, your current recipe may or may not work. You will then need to make some adjustments to be successful with Eddie since we cannot change or “improve” Eddie’s ink. A multi-billion dollar company that supplies food colorings to the largest food manufacturers in the world developed the ink for us. They formulate their edible inks to comply with all local, state, and federal guidelines and regulations, including the FDA and cGMP. We can say with confidence that Eddie’s ink is the safest, most vetted edible ink in the business. Bottom line, the ink is what it is, so if at first you do not get optimal results, please do not panic! You might just need to adapt your recipe to be more compatible with Eddie. Many great recipes used successfully by Eddie owners are in the Eddie User Group on Facebook. Other considerations: print surfaces that are white and that dry hard work best; something similar to royal icing. Cookies should be flat and consistent in size. Primera sells frosted cookies and frosting kits for those who don’t want to make their own. We can also supply you with a proven recipe that will deliver excellent results. You can also join the Eddie User Group on Facebook, where hundreds of successful Eddie owners have posted tips on how to get the best possible results.
- Are frosting sheets, sugar sheets or edible printer paper required? No. That’s one of the major advantages of Eddie over other edible ink printers. Eddie prints directly onto the surface of the food item. No sugar sheets required!
- Do I have to buy my ink from you? For safety and certification purposes, Eddie’s ink cartridges are designed specifically for our printers. You won’t find them at brick-and-mortar retail stores. However, our online store at www.primera.com and many others should always have them in stock.
- Can you show me some success stories? Yes, we have many of them on our web pages for Eddie and Primera’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/primeratech. You can also join the Eddie Facebook User’s Group.
Item Size: 3" to 3.5" (76mm to 89mm)
Tray adapter rings are available to extend the use of your tray to print items as small as 2.5” (64mm). A macaron adapter kit allows you to print items as small as 1.5” (38mm).
Print Width: 1" to 3.5" (25mm to 89mm)
Maximum Thickness: 1" (25mm) for 1.5" (38mm) max diameter items. For all other sizes, .75" or 20mm.
Note: You can also manually feed items into Eddie up to 4.5” (114mm) wide, or oddly shaped items that do not fit in Eddie’s carousel tray.
For a 3.5” (89mm) cookie with a full coverage design, you can expect around 1,400 – 2,700 prints per cartridge.
Design software for Mac isn’t included, but you can use any Mac-based software to print to Eddie.
|Print Method:||Thermal inkjet|
|Print Resolution:||1200 x 1200 native; up to 1200 x 4800 dpi|
|Minimum Print Width:||1" (25mm)|
|Maximum Print Width:||3.5" (89mm)|
|Minimum Item Width||1.5" (38mm)|
|Maximum Item Width:||3.5" (89mm)|
|Minimum Thickness:||0.08" (2mm)|
|Maximum Thickness:||1" (25mm) thickness for 1.5" (38mm) diameter objects. For all other sizes, 0.75" or 20mm is max|
|Print Speed:||5-6 cookies per minute, varies by cookie size and print|
|Weight:||Total weight: 24.9lbs. (11.3kg)
Printer = 18.7lbs. (8.5kg)
Carousel and Base = 6.2lbs. (2.8kg)
|Dimensions:||Total Dimensions: 16" W x 31.2" L x 7.12" H (406mm W x 792mm L x 181mm H)
Printer Dimensions: 12.47" W x 18.67" L x 7.12" H (317mm W x 474mm L x 181mm H)
Carousel Dimensions: 16" W x 16.58" L x 2.8" H (406mm W x 421mm L x 72mm H)
|Power:||36W (12V, 3A)|
|Certifications:||UL, UL-C, FCC Class A
NSF/ANSI Standard 18 Manual Food and Beverage Equipment
UL 763 Standard for Motor-Operated Commercial Food Preparing Machines
CSA C22.2 No. 195-16 Motor Operated Food Processing Appliances (Household and Commercial)
|Warranty:||1 year parts and labor. An extended warranty is available for purchase.|
|Operating Systems:||Windows® 7/8/10+ or MacOS 10.11+|
|Included:||BarTender Designer software for Windows, printer drivers for Windows 7/8/10+ or MacOS 10.11+, ultra-high yield edible ink cartridge, carousel tray for 3” (76mm) – 3.5” (89mm) items, sample icing kit, and sample cookies.|